Friday, January 18, 2008

Player 1

As noted in my history, I don't do the online game thing. I have never liked multi-player games in general, although there were a few in the arcade - I enjoyed playing Gauntlet in '85 with my RPG group, and playing Golden Axe with my wife.

I have never, ever played video games to play against someone else. Back when street fighter came out, if someone else came up to play two player, I would ask them not too. If they did, I just turtled in the corner and let them beat on me, or walk away from the machine. I never compared my high scores with others; I would try an beat my personal best, but never worried about where I stood in comparison with others.

This attitude followed me from the arcade to home computers and then to consoles. I love doom - I loved the doom community, with all the extra levels and such. I have hated all multi-player games I've ever played. I can't stand MMOs - although if one came along that had absolutely no PvP and punished players for screwing with newbies or griefing, then I might. I don't care about gamerscore or achievements - in my 360 I have a profile just for downloading content. I never play games on it. So I profile with everything zeros. :)

For me, Video games is generally a solo hobby. I play when I'm not surfing message boards (which is interactive), Roleplaying (my other major hobby), reading or watching movies. The only multi-player I actually do, is when the Wife and I play a game together (Champions of Norrath is a pretty fun one for us). If I have friends over, we talk, or play PnP RPGs - videogames just never enters into the equation.

So when I listen to podcasts or whatnot and hear "It's always better online" I just scoff.

And that is one of the reasons I started this blog. As a voice from a video gamer who doesn't follow the norm. Other differences in later posts.

But now back to games - Gotta go shoot some bugs in Earth Defence Force 2017. :)

No comments: