Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Controller

I have mentioned before that I do a lot of emulated games on my computer - basically any console before the PS2/Xbox generation, and arcade games. Now aside from the arcade games, I own pretty much everything I emulate (Yes I even own a Vectrex).

Each game machine has it's own controller. Some are cool, some are a pain, some are really problematic like the N64 controller. It took a couple of years but a controller that I can use as the native controller in every emulated console I have on my computer.



Two analog sticks, for PS games. The analog is also used in the N64. A D-pad for any game that uses it (all the way back to the Atari 2600). 4 shoulder buttons, again for PS games. 6 front buttons, so it works great with the 6 button Sega controllers from Genesis on; plus it really works for the Capcom arcade fighting games. With the D-pad, buttons and shoulder buttons it can actually pull the N64 stuff, and is more comfortable than the native controller.
It's also programmable so if a game doesn't quite recognize the controller I can map all the buttons to keyboard buttons (or even make little macros, like a series of button presses, but I have never used that aspect of the controller).

Now some of the configurations are a little odd - the should buttons are the start and select for the Saturn, the rightmost two are the same for the PS... and don't get me started on N64 configuration... but while some of this is a little strange, there are enough buttons and sticks that every button for every game will be mapped.

The only thing that would make it perfect for the console emulator is a start and select button type thing in the middle.

And yes it does Rumble/Shock/Force Feedback.

And now back to games - shootin' down Cylons and trying to get comfortable piloting a Viper.

Games Played since last post:
Stuntman Ignition (360)
Frets on Fire (PC)
Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)
Arcana Hearts (PS2)

No comments: