Friday, April 11, 2008

Snap Judgement Reviews 4: The Dream Child

Forza Motorsports 2
I hated this game. I played for about 10 minutes and it completely and turned me off. I really hate racings sims, and I really like arcady racing games. Forza is probably my least favorite driving game since I wasted money buying Gran Turismo 1. To me, if you can't jump in the car, race on the easiest level, and on the third try not come in dead last, it is a waste of time.

This is a waste of time.

Ridge Racer

The other side of the coin – this was a fun game to play. Tried the demo, and really enjoyed the race there, so I traded in Forza for this. Much better. The drift turning is how I've turned in racing games since the 80s- I have always just turned hard, stop accellerating, then accelrate in the new direction, so this game was made for me.

Cars
Another racer (can you tell I was stuck on a theme for a while). This one was fun, it captured the feel of the movie, and is a decent racing game as well. It's on my to buy list.


Sega Rally Revo

The last racer on the list. Halfway between Ridge Racer and Forza. There is a little too much sim for a full dive in game, but I actually enjoyed this one. It is on my to buy list, but on a really cheap.

Dark Sector
First Person Shooter. Modern but with twists – special funky weapons (go glaive go) and mutants. So it does go SF, which is always a bonus. The game is a solo game; no squads to control, no partners to look out for, just you against the bad guys. I loved it – flashbacks to Doom and other classic solo (and good) FPSs. Perhaps a little too much cover taking needed, but still fairly fun. On my list, at a discount.


Viking
Another run around and chop things game (think God of War, Conan, Guantlet) a less linear. Nice visuals as a Viking chopping things up. There are a few gameplay problems; no sprinting, so if you are running from bad guys, they catch up. But I really enjoyed myself.

And now back to games - strappin' on the Axe and playing for the crowd.


Games Played Since last Post
All of the above.
Solitaire (PC)
Williams Pinball (PS2)
Arcana Hearts (PS2)
Frets on Fire (PC)
Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle Of Doom (360)

No comments: