Friday, July 3, 2009

Demo Play

Nintendo has patented a new thing for video games that they call demo play. It is an ingame help whose concept I really like. Right now, it is only in the New Super Mario Brothers Wii. It has three levels of help.

1) It runs a little window within the game window showing you what you should be doing – great for a puzzle or platformer thing that you just can't get through.
2) It runs full screen for a while so you can see what you need to do, then lets you play it. A lot like the above.
3) It takes over the games and plays it for you for a while.

I really love the third option. It isn't something I would use that often... but how many games have that one really irritating spot that is so much harder than the rest of the game? Demo play would let play through that, and get on with enjoying the game.

Some people have derided it (the Game Scoop guys in particular). I love the idea – but then beating something hard isn't why I play video games. If implemented on 360 or PS3 I could easily see that it keeps you from getting certain achievement or trophies (and certainly you don't get any while the game plays itself)... but for those of us that don't care about gamerscore or trophy point, it would be a great way to help games.


As a side note, I beat Halo 2 earlier today. Great game – I heard all the hype about them before, but now that I have made my way through Halo and Halo 2 I understand the enthusiasm, these are just fabulous games.

Next on the list (Besides the standby favorites of Rock Band 2 and Little Big Planet) – God of War. The first one. Yeah I've going through and beating all these games that I have but have never finished.

Next up – My views on Mr Foot in Mouth Bobby Kotick.

So back to beating up Olympian Beasts looking for revenge on the Gods.

Games played since last post:
Halo 2 (Xbox)
Little Big Planet (PS3)
God Of War (PS2)
Rock Band 2 (360)

No comments: